Inside the Apple
Scripture reference: John 17:17-21
Can you tell me what this is? An apple! Just one apple! Simple, isn’t it! A very shiny, a very red apple. It’s looks good and healthy, too, doesn’t it.
Yes, one beautiful red apple…..
Perhaps this one good apple, could be ten good apples, and then 100, and then 1000, even a whole church full, right up to the ceiling!
Now I want you to watch me carefully. [Cut open the apple… ] Look inside – What do you see? Seeds! Little pockets with seeds inside. And seeds can make more apples.
So, if you wanted more good apples like this one,
- You would take the seeds,
- Plant them in good earth, and water them, and feed them, and take good care of them
- Until—one day—there will be apple trees with apples of their own—hundreds and thousands of them! – maybe even a whole church full!
Jesus’ helpers on earth were just like the seeds in this apple.
When it was time for Jesus to go back to his home in heaven, he sent his helpers into the land to do his work. But first he asked his heavenly Father: “Please look after my helpers and take care of them, plant them in good earth, and make them strong while they’re walking through the land teaching about me.”
- so that more and more people would grow to love Jesus,
- and someday the whole world can be full of grownups and children who love Jesus and believe in Him.